:: Lee Rourke Homepage ::

""A story assembled from everyday objects, unassumingly and quietly, that stuns and horrifies by increments...The Canal may look, at first glance, like a love story, but it harnesses the power of parable." John Wray, author of Lowboy.

Search This Blog

Monday 17 December 2007

Obscure words . . .


Old words are the new black. It's official. I thoroughly enjoyed James Meek's article on unfamiliar words and I have had my particular favourites for a long time now (please see my debut EVERYDAY for a sense of this). But yesterday was the first time I have ever used such a word in an argument. And in public too! I shall elucidate:

Islington's Upper Street, near the junction with Camden Passage. I dutifully push the button in order for me to cross the road safely. The red light appears; a bus, a white van, a moped and several cars stop accordingly, as they should, to allow me to cross the road. As I am crossing some cretin* on a bicycle jumps the red light. He doesn't hit me, or scare me, but he does rile me, enough for me to shout "Highway Code!" at him to which he stops and shouts back "Get a life! Get a life!"

I walk away rather rattled. I walk for about ten meters and then something snaps in side me. I walk back towards the cyclist. I find him locking his expensive bike to a fence by Fredrick's restaurant. I approach him. The following conversation took place. Verbatim. He was very aggressive:

ME: Excuse me, but you just jumped a red light.
HIM: Oh fuck off and get a life!
ME: But you can't do that.
HIM: I didn't hit you; what's your fucking problem, you dickhead?
ME: That isn't the point! That doesn't make it right! You jumped the red light. You could have hit me! Just because you didn't hit me doesn't make this right.
HIM: So why are you back here?
ME: To make my point!
HIM: You're thick! Fucking thick!
ME: And you're an ultracrepidarian! Look that up in the dictionary!
HIM: A what? A what? Get your hair cut!
ME: I will, only if you clean your teeth!

With this I walked off! Admittedly, I should never have walked back in the first place, I should have just walked home, as I was doing, but cyclists (I am a keen cyclist myself) who jump red lights annoy me so much.

Ultracrepidarian is by far my favourite word. And to use it in such circumstances makes me a very happy man.

* Oh, if by some crazed stretch of the imagination you may be reading this please feel free to click right about >>>HERE<<<

Blog Archive

Labels

2014 (1) 3:AM Magazine (1) 3AM Magazine (1) 4th Estate (1) aircraft (1) Amber (1) Andrew Gallix (2) Ann Quin (2) Art (1) Ben Myers (2) Book covers (1) Book Launch (2) Booker Prize (1) Bookforum (1) Boredom (1) Bram van Velde (1) Brighton (1) Broadway Books (1) Captain Beefheart (1) Carcanet Press (2) Central Station Design (1) Chris Killen (1) Competition (1) Dalkey Archive (4) Dante (1) Death (1) Dumitru Tsepeneag (1) Ellis Sharp (1) Events (1) Everyday Publishing (1) Evie Wyld (2) Gabriel Josipovici (5) Gavin James Bower (1) Georges Bataille (1) Gwendoline Riley (1) Hans Fallada (1) Harper Collins. (1) Hendrik Wittkopf (1) HP Tinker (1) Hubert Selby Jr (1) INS (1) Interviews (1) Jacques Roubaud (1) JD Salinger (1) Jean-Philippe Toussaint (4) JG Ballard (1) Jim Carroll (1) Joe Stretch (1) Jon McGregor (2) Jonathan Lethem (1) Karen Jackson (1) Kevin Cummins (1) Leda and the Swan (1) Light Boxes (1) List (2) Litro (1) LRB (1) Lydie Salvayre (2) Manchester United (1) Manifestos (1) Marion Boyars (1) Martin Heidegger (1) Melville House (11) Modernism (1) Myth (1) New Statesman (1) New Stuff (1) New York Times (1) Nick Cave (1) Noah Cicero (1) Not The Booker Prize (1) Novel (1) Olivier Pauvert (1) On Boredom (1) Pylons (2) Readings (2) Regent's Canal (2) Reviews/Criticism Archives (9) RIP (1) Samuel Beckett (3) Shane Jones (1) Sophie Lewis (1) Steve Finbow (2) Steve Mitchelmore (2) Stewart Home (1) Stuart Evers (1) Swans (1) Tao Lin (3) The Big Green Bookshop (1) The Canal (15) The Divine Comedy (1) The Failure Six (1) The Guardian (2) The Independent (6) The Quarterly Conversation (1) This Space (1) To Hell With Publishing (2) Tom McCarthy (3) Tony O'Neill (2) vapour trails (1) Vulgar Things (1) Yale University Press (1) Yeats (1) Zachary German (1)